Friday, August 25, 2017

How Soul Sisters came to be...



The idea for a  women’s retreat all began last May.  May used to be a great month for me.  It was all about celebrating my momma, Sheri.  She was born May 9th and  with Mother’s day always the 2nd Sunday of May,  this month was positively tied up in warm feelings about her.  Well four years ago on May 21st,  after a valiant fight with cancer, my sweet momma went to heaven.  So now May is a bittersweet, happy, sad, melancholy month.

Well this past May as I was sitting in my silky robe eating chocolate mudpie ice cream right out of the carton, thinking about my mom and feeling a wee bit sorry for myself, I had a thought hit me like a pie in the face, which sounds delicious by the way since Pie is my favorite.   It was inspiration that I know was sent to me by my angel momma… You are a born gatherer and you need to be gathering women who need other women.  This idea filled me with so much joy that I put down my ice cream spoon and picked up my notebook to jot it down….
…and after taking a very unscientific Facebook poll about women’s retreats for older, women, I realized there were many other 50 somethings out there who need connection and camaraderie; who want to Serve, Observe, Uplift and Love just like me.
I call them my soul sisters.
Thus was born…. Soul Sisters – a place for Fabulous Women over 50 !

Why over 50 you ask?       Well…………I won’t be checking birthdates and ID’s at the door….but the over 50 part is to let anyone who wants to come to the retreat know who it’s geared toward.  It’s for the 50+, 60+, 70+ woman who needs a get away.  Our discussion topics will not be about  new mother skills, babies and school lunches, but more about  staying active, helping young marrieds, aging parents, and grand mothering.  


This is not a money making endeavor... it's just a way to facilitate a gathering that my Momma Sheri and my Sister Marcie would be happy to attend.  I don't know who needs this, or where this journey will take me, but I'm happy to get started and enjoy the ride.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

May retreat run down

May retreat May 19, 2018 Back row:  Si, Dixie, Tammy, Karen Nickl, Kim, Connie, Lisa, Kathleen   Front row;  Melinda, Angela,...